If I study a degree involving a modern language, do I have to go abroad?



If you study a modern language, you must spend a minimum of 7 months abroad in your third year. Please see the Year Abroad Gateway for more information. There may be situations in which students can be exempted from the Year Abroad, however, this can only be granted in very specific circumstances eg due to medical needs. If this is the case, students will need to contact the School of Cultures, Languages and Area Studies for further advice.


Below students Molly and Diana discuss their own study abroad experience.


Related Topics

Contact Us

Chat with us live

Chat with one of our friendly enquiries Team

Monday - Friday 9.00 - 4.00 (GMT)




Submit a Question

If you could not find an answer to your question then you can ask the Enquiries Team.

Your Info
Fields marked with * are required.

Terms and conditions

By submitting this form, you agree to receive further communications from the University of Liverpool. To opt out of these communications, please email our enquiries team. Any personal information you provide will be held in accordance with the provisions of the Data Protection Act 2018. We will not sell, licence or trade your personal details to any third party. For more information, please see our Website Terms and Conditions of Use